Thursday, September 20, 2012

Are You Ready For Some Football?

My girlfriend from work, because like I said before--my coworkers are fueling my business, had been planning different things for her Hubby's 30th birthday this year. I suppose it was a good bit sports theme because her adorable self surprised him with a trip to the Phillie's game with a group of friends, then she contacted me. She asked me to make him an Eagles cake in the shape of a football. She's a very good wife, I'll have to take note on how to be like that myself! :)

The cake wasn't going to be very big, since it was for about 10 people or so. I started out making this homemade chocolate cake (My favorite chocolate cake to make). When it finished baking I planned on cutting it and making the cake two layers so I could have it tall enough but cut the cake into a football shape. Unfortunately, when I did this the cake started to fall apart since it was so moist. I should have known this was going to happen. Step 2 was to do it all over again, so I did with a different mix. This time it turned out really well! So I cut the big square cake in half and put one half on top of the other to make it thicker so I can cut it into the shape of a football.

After I cut the football shape out of the cake I iced it with some chocolate buttercream icing. I covered the whole cake before I added the lacing and end stripes with some creamy vanilla icing. Next, I added "Eagles" at the bottom of the football. I finished the cake off with a little football helmet and a jersey out of fondant. I wrote his last name and birthday on the jersey. Here is the cake below. Let me know what you think :)



Since I wasn't able to use my other cake I iced some of it with the extra icing so that everyone at work can enjoy the extra cake. So don't worry, it was not wasted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment