Sunday, March 10, 2013

Natural Ice Beer Can Cake

Let me start by saying, I did not know how challenging this cake would be when I agreed to do it, but I am glad I did! One of my coworkers in my department wanted to order a fun cake for her brothers 21st birthday. She wanted a cake in the shape of a beer can, and what better beer choice than Natural Ice--the go to cheap beer that all college aged students drink. I agreed and started my planning.

For this cake I made a layer of vanilla and a layer of chocolate cake with some orange juice in the mix (if you have not noticed my go to flavor really is orange). I cut the cakes so that they were flat and easy to layer. Between the layers I added some blue buttercream to hold it together. Next I cut around the top and edges to make the shape of a can laying down. I covered the whole cake in homemade butter cream and used my Air Brush machine to cover it in a silver metallic color (edible of course!). I used a few different pictures of the Natural Ice Beer brand to come to a decision on how to tackle the design; well, that and some help and verification from my fiancee because I could not make a decision. I cut out some pieces of fondant and details and layered them on the cake. To finish the cake I cut out the words "Natural Ice" as it is on the can/beer box and placed a sort of stencil on top of the cake so that I could write the words in silver air brushed paint. I used some black fondant to make the top of the can a little more detailed.

It was definitely a challenge but it turned out to be a very fun cake to make. Her brother and family loved it :). Let me know what you think!




--Sarah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment