Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sonic the Hedgehog Cake

When I found out Nephew C was having a birthday party at a bowling alley, I assured my sister that I could do a bowling themed cake for him. After she asked him about it, she let me know that he thought a bowling cake would be awesome...if it was Sonic the Hedgehog bowling. I could do that right? Sure...why not...I will try I suppose. I let her know that she should be prepared to get a new Sonic figurine out of it if I had any trouble. She also reminded me that it needed to be a peanut free cake.

I started with a basic vanilla cake, but since I could not get a definite answer of what was in the oil I was using I chose to use some greek yogurt-lemon flavor, and orange juice in the cake to make sure it was all peanut free. I separated half of the cake mix and dyed it blue so that I could make the cake blue and white zebra striped on the inside. While the cake was baking I grabbed some icing and really whipped it up with a little bit of orange juice and heavy cream as well.

The next hour and a half I spent attempting to make a Sonic. The fiancee had a great idea about making Sonic in ball form, which sonic actually does, and have that hit the pins. This was pretty genius and I hadn't thought of it. Since I was having difficulty doing what I originally wanted to with this idea, I found a new picture of Sonic to go off of and formed it pretty quickly. I let the Sonic hang out in the fridge over night. The next morning I iced the cake and cut a bowling lane out of fondant. After putting the lane on the cake, I lined it with black fondant and started making some bowling pins. It turns out that it is pretty difficult to make 10 pins the same shape and size, but I did my very best! I put them in the fridge while I made the arrows and dots on the bowling lane to make it look more realistic. Next I put two toothpicks in Sonic to put him in the cake. When I took the pins out of the fridge I put a toothpick in each and placed them on the cake. Lastly I wrote "Happy Birthday Caleb" and "Strike!" on his cake.

When I dropped the cake off Nephew C "loved the cake so much" that he would not put it down. He kept trying to walk around with it and open the container. I was very happy that he liked it, and I was told that it was so delicious his little brother almost ate the whole thing.





Let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment