Saturday, March 17, 2012

My First Order!

My mom's co-worker was throwing a big Sweet 16 party for her daughter and needed a cake to go with the Hollywood theme and asked me if I would be interested in doing it. My immediate thought "YES! YES! OF COURSE!" So that became my very first order :) I tried out some techniques I picked up from watching Baking shows on my favorite network, and used some fun new products that I had always wanted to get from an Arts and Craft store that I stop at often. This cake needed to feed 70 people so I decided to use my new square cake pans because they were three different sizes. I used the two largest sizes and made a two tiered cake. I made two squared cakes in each size so that it would hold together as two tiers and not fall in. This cake was chocolate on the bottom layer, and white cake on the top layer. In retrospect, I should have done it the opposite because of the colored fondant I used on the top tier and bottom tiers, but it turned out fine anyway. Next I was able to use Rice Krispie Treats to make shapes for the clapper, Hollywood Star, and film reel. From there I made some fun designs with my birthday present from the boyfriend, a Cricut Cake Cutter! This thing is incredible and I LOVE IT! I added some fun glittery dust to the top, and here is how it turned out:

This was a big task for my first cake, but it was so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment